Monday, September 14, 2026

The Spellbound Cottage — Genevieve K Thomas

The Spellbound Cottage — Genevieve K Thomas

Title: The Spellbound Cottage
Author: Genevieve K. Thomas
Genre: Cozy Fantasy | Fantasy Romance | Cozy Romance
Format: ALC / Audiobook
Narrator: Roisin Rankin
Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ — 5/5


Synopsis

Heartbroken and grieving the loss of her beloved grandmother, Beatrix Bilberry decides she needs a fresh start.

With the inheritance her grandmother left her, she buys Spellbound Cottage, a rather dilapidated home in the magical village of Little Sparrow.

Unfortunately, Beatrix may have slightly underestimated what she's gotten herself into.

Along with the usual renovation disasters, the cottage comes with troublesome pixies, gnomes, a melodramatic ghost, magical shenanigans, and Barnaby, an extremely sleepy hearth dragon.

As winter approaches, Beatrix is determined to transform the cottage into a home. Luckily, the people of Little Sparrow (including her handsome, tattooed neighbor Angus) are willing to lend a hand.

Between renovations, new friendships, a gentle mystery surrounding the cottage's missing previous owner, and an unexpected romance, Beatrix slowly discovers that she may be rebuilding far more than just a house.


My Thoughts

Sometimes you don't need murder...

You don't need danger...

You don't need somebody dramatically betraying somebody else in chapter 37.

Sometimes you just need a slightly dilapidated magical cottage, a tiny village, a handsome handyman, some troublesome magical creatures and approximately ZERO STRESS.

And apparently that was exactly what I needed.

I listened to The Spellbound Cottage basically in one sitting while doing a PNB (paint by numbers), and it was SO freaking lovely. This was one of the most relaxing audiobooks I've listened to in a while.

Beatrix is having a rough time when she arrives in Little Sparrow. Her relationship has ended, but even more importantly, she's grieving the loss of her grandmother, whom she absolutely adored.

Her grandmother left her a considerable inheritance, and Beatrix decides to use some of it to buy a rather... ambitious project:

Spellbound Cottage.

And by ambitious, I mean this poor cottage needs HELP.

Beatrix goes into it determined to renovate the place herself and create the home she wants, only to discover fairly quickly that she may have slightly underestimated the amount of work involved.

Okay...

Maybe massively underestimated it.

Especially when you're dealing not only with normal renovation problems, but gnomes, pixies, a dramatic ghost, magical cottage shenanigans and Barnaby, an adorable sleepy hearth dragon.

Barnaby is the cutest dragon in the universe.

Luckily, Beatrix slowly finds people around her willing to help, including Angus, her very handsome, very tattooed neighbor who happens to know considerably more about fixing things than she does.

And honestly, that's basically the heart of this book.

It's about Beatrix rebuilding a cottage while, little by little, also rebuilding her life.

She makes friends. She becomes part of the village. She finds this wonderful little group of people around her. The cottage slowly stops being this broken-down building she bought and starts becoming home.

There's also the mystery surrounding the previous owner, who disappeared without a trace, which gave the story something extra to uncover without ever taking away from the cozy atmosphere.

Aaaand, of course, there's Angus.

Because apparently renovating your magical cottage requires a hot handyman.

It's in the contract. I checked!!!

But what I loved most was simply how gentle this story felt.

No unnecessary relationship drama. No big violent conflict. No exhausting third-act catastrophe waiting to ruin everyone's happiness for 50 pages.

Just magic, friendship, found family, healing, cottage renovations, a sweet romance, and a woman slowly creating a new home and a new life for herself.

It just WORKED for me.


Audiobook & Narration

Roisin Rankin's narration only added to that feeling.

Her performance suited the cozy atmosphere beautifully and made this incredibly easy to settle into and listen to for hours, which I quite literally did.

I put my audiobook on, started my PNB, and basically disappeared into Little Sparrow until the book was finished.

Was I productive?

Yes.

Did I finish my painting?

Also YES.

Did I finish the entire audiobook?

ABSOLUTELY!


Final Thoughts

The Spellbound Cottage was exactly the kind of book I needed when I picked it up.

Super cute. Super sweet. Ridiculously relaxing.

There's no need for enormous stakes or constant drama here. The joy is in watching Beatrix create a home, find her people, fall in love, and gradually heal while surrounded by a wonderfully magical little community.

And Barnaby.

Obviously Barnaby.

Sometimes a book simply finds you at exactly the right moment, and this one did that for me.

5⭐


ALC Disclaimer

Thank you to Bookouture Audio and NetGalley for the opportunity to listen to and review this ALC. All opinions are my own.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Mentor — Angela Douglas

The Mentor — Angela Douglas Title: The Mentor Author: Angela Douglas Genre: Psychological Thriller | Mystery | Suspense Format: eARC ...