Tuesday, August 11, 2026

Bonfire and Bliss Bookstore - Brittanee Nicole

Bonfire and Bliss Bookstore

Author: Brittanee Nicole
Series: Hope Harbor #2
Publisher: G.P. Putnam’s Sons
Genre: Contemporary Romance | Small-Town Romance
Format: eBook (ARC)
Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐


Synopsis

After a very public failed engagement, Penny Darling has had enough of real-life romance.

As the owner of Bonfire and Bliss Books, she's perfectly content surrounding herself with fictional love stories, pumpkin-spiced everything, and book boyfriends who can't break her heart.

Then her former high-school best friend, Jake “Monty” Montgomery, returns to Hope Harbor.

When Monty unexpectedly tells the town's resident busybodies that he's Penny's new boyfriend, the two find themselves fake dating, and co-hosting the town's Maple Festival.

But Monty has problems of his own. His latest book hasn't performed as hoped, and he desperately needs inspiration for his next story. Since Penny spends her life surrounded by romance novels, he asks her to teach him how to become the perfect romantic hero.

Fake dating. Romance lessons. Old feelings.

What could possibly go wrong?


My Thoughts

I have a confession to make.

I may or may not have screamed a little when I was approved for this ARC because I had such a good time with Darling Daffodils Farm.

And somehow?

I think I liked this one even more.

Penny and Monty gave me two tropes I absolutely enjoy: friends-to-lovers and fake dating. More importantly, their existing history made the relationship work particularly well for me.

They were once incredibly close, drifted apart, and are now trying to find their way back into each other's lives. That history gave their romance a foundation before any of the fake-dating shenanigans even began.

And then there's Monty.

This man was an excellent fake boyfriend.

He's supportive, helpful, and always there when Penny needs him... while apparently hiding a considerably dirtier mind than I initially expected. 😂 That particular discovery was certainly entertaining.

I also wouldn't necessarily describe Monty as a “failed writer,” despite the premise. To me, he felt more like an author who had lost his inspiration or perhaps someone who hadn't yet figured out exactly what kind of story he was supposed to be writing.

Having Penny, a romance bookstore owner and devoted romance reader, teach him what makes a good romantic hero was such a fun setup. And considering he's simultaneously pretending to be her boyfriend, you can probably imagine how wonderfully complicated those lessons become.


Penny's Journey

Penny was another highlight for me.

After what happened with her previous relationship, her confidence has understandably taken a hit. I really enjoyed watching her gradually rediscover that confidence and allow herself to become vulnerable again.

What I especially appreciated was her willingness to try.

She doesn't simply spend the entire story hiding from everything that scares her. She begins opening herself up to new experiences, taking chances, and figuring out what she actually wants.

Watching that happen alongside her developing relationship with Monty made their romance even more satisfying.


Back in Hope Harbor

And, of course, we're back in Hope Harbor.

The quirky residents and small-town meddling that I enjoyed in Darling Daffodils Farm are still very much present, and they continue to make the town feel lively and welcoming.

This time, however, we also get all the cozy autumn goodness.

A bookstore, crisp fall weather, the Maple Festival, apple orchards, bonfires...

Basically, this book looked at every autumn romance aesthetic and said:

Yes. All of them. 

Hope Harbor is quickly becoming one of those fictional small towns I genuinely look forward to revisiting with each new installment.


Final Thoughts

Bonfire and Bliss Bookstore took everything I enjoyed about the first Hope Harbor book and somehow worked even better for me.

Penny and Monty's history gave the friends-to-lovers romance emotional weight, the fake-dating setup was genuinely fun, and I loved watching Penny regain her confidence while Monty found his way forward as a writer.

Add the romance bookstore, autumn atmosphere, quirky small-town community, and one suspiciously talented fake boyfriend, and I was sold.

Book one was a 4-star read for me.

Book two?

Five stars.

And now I'm already waiting to see whose business Hope Harbor will meddle in next.

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐


ARC Disclaimer

Thank you to NetGalley and G.P. Putnam’s Sons for the opportunity to read and review this ARC. All opinions expressed are my own.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want Me, Take Me, Haunt Me, Make Me - Isabel Crowley

  Want Me, Take Me, Haunt Me, Make Me Author: Isabel Crowley Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca Genre: Paranormal Romance | Horror | Fan...