Tuesday, August 18, 2026

The Crying Killer - Jess Lourey

The Crying Killer by Jess Lourey

Author: Jess Lourey
Publisher: Thomas & Mercer
Format: eBook / ARC
Genre: Thriller | Mystery | Crime | Suspense
Publication Date: August 18, 2026
Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐


Synopsis

Eight years ago, Tuesday Hendrickson survived an attack that killed her sister. The murderer was believed to be Arsen Bauer, their former friend and her sister's on-and-off boyfriend, who became known as the Crying Killer. Police shot and killed him while he fled the scene, and the case was considered closed.

Tuesday was never completely convinced they killed the right man. Now a private investigator living under a new name and fiercely protecting her daughter, she begins seeing someone who looks disturbingly like Arsen. When new bodies appear bearing the Crying Killer's signature, Tuesday must determine whether the man she's feared for eight years has really returned, or whether her past is finally catching up with her in a different way.


My Thoughts

This book kept me on my toes the entire time. We get murder, stalking, dangerous situations, secrets, paranoia (or maybe not?) and that constant “Am I losing my mind right now?” feeling that had me questioning things right alongside Tuesday.

What made the original murders even more disturbing was Tuesday's connection to Arsen. He wasn't a random killer who entered their lives; he had been their friend and her sister's on-and-off boyfriend. When police supposedly killed him while fleeing the scene, everyone else accepted that the nightmare was finally over. Tuesday never really did.

And honestly, I could understand why. The man who was shot was wearing Arsen's clothes, but his face had been completely destroyed, making identification difficult. Tuesday has spent eight years believing there was a possibility Arsen survived, and when she starts seeing him again just as bodies bearing the Crying Killer's signature begin appearing, that old fear comes rushing back.

The suspense worked really well for me because I genuinely wasn't sure how much of Tuesday's fear I could trust. Was she actually seeing Arsen across the street? Was someone stalking her? Was her trauma making her see connections that weren't there? Or was everyone around her making a huge mistake by refusing to believe her? At some point, I was basically questioning my own sanity alongside her. :D

I also loved how the mystery kept shifting. Every time I thought I had a decent idea of what was happening, another detail or twist made me reconsider my theory. Things became especially interesting toward the end, and some of those reveals genuinely surprised me.

It was also incredibly bingeable. This is exactly the kind of thriller that makes me say “one more chapter” until I suddenly realize it's 3 a.m... or 7 a.m. Apparently sleep becomes optional when I need answers. 


Final Thoughts

The Crying Killer was suspenseful, twisty and extremely difficult for me to put down. Tuesday's uncertainty created that perfect “is this actually happening or are we imagining it?” feeling, while the mystery kept giving me reasons to question my theories.

I genuinely don't have any major complaints. It kept me guessing, gave me a few surprises I didn't see coming, and had me completely invested in finding out what really happened eight years ago.

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐


ARC Disclaimer

I received an advance reader copy of The Crying Killer in exchange for an honest review. Receiving this copy did not influence my opinion of the book.

Thank you to NetGalley and Thomas & Mercer for the opportunity to read and review this ARC. All opinions are my own.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Shadows That Listen - Louisa Carmody

The Shadows That Listen by Louisa Carmody  Author: Louisa Carmody Series: Angel Ruin #1 Publisher: Little, Brown Book Group UK Format...