Tuesday, August 4, 2026

Clean Slate - Brianna Labuskes

Clean Slate (Olive Hunt #1)

Author: Brianna Labuskes
Genre: Psychological Thriller | Crime | Mystery
Format: eBook (ARC)
Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐ (3.75 stars, rounded up)


Synopsis

Olive Hunt has spent nearly a decade cleaning up crime scenes.

After years of erasing the aftermath of tragedy, very little surprises her anymore.

But when she notices an unusual connection between two apparent suicides, Olive becomes convinced that someone is staging murders to look like self-inflicted deaths. As more bodies appear and mysterious roses begin arriving at her doorstep, it becomes clear that a serial killer is leaving clues meant specifically for her.

The deeper Olive digs, the more personal the investigation becomes.


My Thoughts

I have to admit... there was something especially fun about reading a thriller featuring a crime scene cleaner while I was also playing Crime Scene Cleaner. The timing couldn't have been better!

The concept immediately stood out to me because it's not something you see very often in psychological thrillers. Watching Olive clean crime scenes added a fresh perspective to the investigation, and although those scenes were detailed, they never felt overly graphic. Instead, they gave the story its own unique identity.

The novel started off incredibly strong.

The mystery surrounding the staged suicides immediately hooked me, and I was eager to discover how everything connected. As the story progressed, however, I felt the pacing became a little uneven. Some chapters were impossible to put down, while others slowed the momentum enough that my attention occasionally drifted.

I also found parts of the mystery somewhat predictable. That didn't ruin my enjoyment, but it meant the story never completely surprised me in the way I'd hoped.

One aspect I would have loved to see explored even further was Olive herself. The psychological effects of her past added an interesting layer to her character, and I found those moments just as compelling as the investigation itself. I finished the book wanting to learn even more about her history.

The final chapters definitely reignited my interest. The ending leaves readers with plenty of questions, and I'm already curious to see where Olive's story goes in the next installment.


Final Thoughts

Clean Slate offers a refreshing take on the serial killer thriller by placing a crime scene cleaner at the center of the investigation.

Although the pacing wasn't always consistent and some developments felt a little predictable, the unique premise, engaging mystery, and intriguing main character kept me invested throughout. I'm especially interested to see how Olive's story continues in future books.

If you enjoy psychological thrillers with unconventional protagonists and serial killer investigations, this is definitely worth checking out.

⭐ 3.75 stars (rounded up to 4)


ARC Disclaimer

Thank you to NetGalley and Thomas & Mercer for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review. All opinions expressed are my own.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Killer Art - Jon St. Denis

Killer Art Author: Jon St. Denis Genre: Cozy Mystery | Mystery Format: eBook (ARC) Rating: ⭐⭐⭐✨ (3.5 stars) Synopsis When art profess...