Tuesday, August 4, 2026

Killer Art - Jon St. Denis

Killer Art

Author: Jon St. Denis
Genre: Cozy Mystery | Mystery
Format: eBook (ARC)
Rating: ⭐⭐⭐✨ (3.5 stars)


Synopsis

When art professor Vika Chen discovers the body of a fellow professor inside a campus art studio, she quickly becomes entangled in a murder investigation linked to an exhibition exploring AI-generated art.

With the local police making little progress, Vika and her partner, journalism professor and former crime reporter Sam Worthing, begin investigating on their own. As they dig deeper into the college community, they uncover hidden rivalries, long-buried secrets, and a growing list of suspects, while realizing someone is willing to kill to keep the truth hidden.


My Thoughts

Killer Art combines a murder mystery with an academic setting and an intriguing discussion surrounding AI-generated art, creating a premise that immediately caught my attention.

I enjoyed following Vika and Sam as they settled into their new jobs at a small coastal California college before unexpectedly finding themselves at the center of a murder investigation. The university setting gave the novel a cozy atmosphere despite the growing body count, and I liked the way art, academia, and mystery blended together.

The mystery itself kept me interested, and I appreciated the unique angle involving AI-generated artwork. It added a contemporary element that helped distinguish the novel from more traditional cozy mysteries.

That said, I would have loved to learn more about the main characters. While I enjoyed spending time with Vika and Sam, I found myself wanting a little more background on both of them and their relationship, which would have helped me connect with them on a deeper level.

I also wasn't entirely convinced by the "reluctant sleuth" premise. Since Sam is a former crime reporter, his involvement in the investigation felt fairly natural, and Vika's curiosity meant she didn't need much encouragement either.

My biggest issue, however, was the way some of the deaths and suspicious incidents were handled by the police. There were moments where events were dismissed as accidents a little too quickly, even when it felt obvious that a larger pattern was emerging. That occasionally stretched my suspension of disbelief.


Final Thoughts

Overall, Killer Art is an enjoyable cozy mystery with an original premise, an engaging academic setting, and an interesting exploration of AI within the art world.

Although I would have liked stronger character development and a slightly tighter investigation, I still had a good time with the mystery and would be interested in seeing where Vika and Sam's story goes next.

⭐ 3.5 stars


ARC Disclaimer

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review. All opinions expressed are my own.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Killer Art - Jon St. Denis

Killer Art Author: Jon St. Denis Genre: Cozy Mystery | Mystery Format: eBook (ARC) Rating: ⭐⭐⭐✨ (3.5 stars) Synopsis When art profess...