Tuesday, August 4, 2026

Gingerbread Bones - Lindsay Lovise

Gingerbread Bones

Author: Lindsay Lovise
Genre: YA Horror | Paranormal Horror | Survival Horror
Format: eBook (ARC)
Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐


Synopsis

Inspired by Hansel and Gretel, Gingerbread Bones follows sixteen-year-old Georgie and her younger brother after they're shipped off to a wilderness reform camp by their stepmother, a social media parenting influencer who's filming a reality show about "fixing" troubled teens.

With cameras documenting every embarrassing moment, two weeks in the wilderness already sounds miserable.

Then the counselors disappear overnight.

Left alone with dwindling supplies, the teenagers soon realize they aren't the only ones in the forest. Something is watching them from the shadows... and whatever it is, it has no intention of letting them leave alive.


My Thoughts

I absolutely devoured this book.

The premise immediately hooked me. A wilderness camp, a reality show, troubled teens forced to survive together... it already had all the ingredients for a tense survival story before the horror even began.

Once the counselors vanished, however, the story took a much darker turn.

The survival aspect was incredibly well done. Stranded in the wilderness with limited resources, the teenagers are forced to rely on one another while trying to understand what is stalking them through the forest. The isolated setting created a constant sense of unease, making it feel like danger could appear from anywhere at any moment.

One of my favorite aspects was how gradually the horror escalated.

Rather than revealing everything immediately, the novel slowly peels back the paranormal mystery, allowing the tension to build chapter after chapter. The more I learned about the terrifying force hunting the group, the more invested I became.

Although the novel is firmly rooted in horror, I also enjoyed the relationship between Georgie and Mack. Their connection developed naturally amidst the chaos and never overshadowed the survival elements, instead complementing the story without slowing its pace.

While Gingerbread Bones is clearly inspired by Hansel and Gretel, I couldn't help being reminded of Auntie Ethel from Baldur's Gate 3 as the mystery unfolded, and I mean that as a compliment!


Final Thoughts

Gingerbread Bones delivers exactly what I hope for from a survival horror novel: an unsettling atmosphere, escalating paranormal terror, memorable characters and a mystery that kept me eagerly turning the pages.

If you're looking for a YA horror that blends wilderness survival, creepy supernatural elements, and a clever fairy tale-inspired premise, this is one I highly recommend.

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️


ARC Disclaimer

Thank you to NetGalley and Entangled Teen for the opportunity to read and review this book. All opinions expressed are my own.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Killer Art - Jon St. Denis

Killer Art Author: Jon St. Denis Genre: Cozy Mystery | Mystery Format: eBook (ARC) Rating: ⭐⭐⭐✨ (3.5 stars) Synopsis When art profess...