One of the Family
Author: Mark Edwards
Genre: Psychological Thriller | Mystery | Suspense
Format: eBook (ARC)
Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Synopsis
Patrick is looking forward to spending a relaxing holiday in the Scottish Highlands with his girlfriend Holly and her family.
Instead, he finds himself trapped in a house full of secrets.
Holly's father, Charles, is preparing to marry Jasmine, a woman almost the same age as his children and the spitting image of their late mother. Unsurprisingly, not everyone is thrilled about the engagement.
As old resentments resurface and tensions within the family continue to rise, Patrick soon realizes that everyone seems to be hiding something. But the secrets don't stop at the front door. The small Scottish village surrounding the estate appears just as suspicious, with its residents guarding truths of their own.
The longer Patrick stays, the more dangerous the situation becomes.
My Thoughts
I absolutely devoured this book.
From the very first chapters, Mark Edwards creates an atmosphere filled with suspicion, tension, and unease. The isolated Scottish setting perfectly complements the story, making it feel as though there is no escape from the increasingly dysfunctional family Patrick has unknowingly walked into.
What begins as an awkward family holiday quickly evolves into something far darker.
One of the things I enjoyed most was the constant sense that everyone had something to hide. It wasn't just Holly's family keeping secrets, the villagers themselves seemed equally suspicious, creating an unsettling environment where I found myself questioning almost every character.
The mystery unfolds in layers, with each revelation raising even more questions than answers. Just when I thought I understood what was happening, another twist completely changed my perspective. The psychological tension never let up, and I genuinely couldn't wait to see how everything would fit together.
The premise surrounding Charles' much younger fiancée is already intriguing enough on its own, but trust me when I say the story becomes far stranger as it progresses. I certainly wasn't prepared for some of the revelations waiting near the end.
Although I wouldn't say I had a particular favourite character, that didn't matter in the slightest. The plot was so compelling that I happily followed every twist, betrayal, and shocking discovery without ever needing to truly "like" anyone.
Final Thoughts
One of the Family is exactly the kind of psychological thriller I love.
It's packed with family secrets, simmering tension, clever twists, and an atmosphere that kept me constantly second-guessing everyone. Between the isolated Scottish setting, the dysfunctional family dynamics, and the increasingly bizarre revelations, I found it almost impossible to put down.
If you're looking for a thriller where nobody can be trusted and every answer only leads to more questions, I highly recommend adding this one to your reading list.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
ARC Disclaimer
Thank you to NetGalley and Atria Books for the opportunity to read and review this book. All opinions expressed are my own.

No comments:
Post a Comment