Tuesday, August 4, 2026

(Mostly) Human Resources - Grace Viall

 

(Mostly) Human Resources

Author: Grace Viall
Genre: Fantasy | Horror | Paranormal | Mystery
Format: eBook (ARC)
Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐


Synopsis

After losing her father while he was working as a Warden in the Appalachian Mountains, Alexys joins Entity, the organization responsible for managing the world's monsters and cryptids.

Determined to continue her father's legacy, but without facing monsters head-on, she accepts a position in Human Resources, where she oversees the Wardens working in the field.

Everything changes when one of those Wardens disappears while investigating reports of an unknown cryptid.

Unwilling to risk another life, Alexys heads into the Appalachian Mountains herself, accompanied by Nic, Entity's ambitious Director of Research and Cataloging, who's equally determined to be the first to document the mysterious new creature.

Together, they must uncover what happened before they become the next victims.


My Thoughts

The premise immediately hooked me.

A company dedicated to managing monsters and cryptids is already a fun idea, but making the main character work in Human Resources instead of out in the field was such an unexpected twist. Apparently, even supernatural organizations need someone to deal with paperwork and employee management!

I really enjoyed discovering how Entity operated. The different departments, the Wardens, and the research side of the organization all helped make the world feel unique and well thought out.

The Appalachian Mountains also provided an atmospheric backdrop for the investigation. The isolated setting worked perfectly for a story involving mysterious cryptids, adding just the right amount of tension as Alexys and Nic searched for both Elliot and the unknown creature.

I also enjoyed the dynamic between Alexys and Nic. Their shared mission naturally brought them together, and I liked seeing their relationship develop alongside the investigation.

While I had a great time with the overall story, I did occasionally struggle to fully connect with Alexys, and there were moments where the pacing felt a little uneven. Neither issue significantly affected my enjoyment, but they did prevent this from becoming a higher-rated read for me.


Final Thoughts

(Mostly) Human Resources is a creative and entertaining blend of fantasy, mystery, and cryptid adventure.

With its original premise, engaging world-building, and intriguing supernatural mystery, it offers a refreshing take on monster fiction. Although I didn't completely connect with every character, I still had a lot of fun and I'm definitely curious to see where the series goes next.

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️


ARC Disclaimer

Thank you to NetGalley and Crooked Lane Books for the opportunity to read and review this book. All opinions expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Killer Art - Jon St. Denis

Killer Art Author: Jon St. Denis Genre: Cozy Mystery | Mystery Format: eBook (ARC) Rating: ⭐⭐⭐✨ (3.5 stars) Synopsis When art profess...