She Never Came Back
Author: Patricia Dixon
Genre: Psychological Thriller | Mystery
Format: eBook (ARC)
Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐ (3.5 stars, rounded up)
Synopsis
Seventeen years ago, Melanie Carter vanished without a trace while travelling through rural France. No body was ever found, no suspects were identified, and the case eventually went cold.
Unable to let go of the past, Melanie's sister, Sunny, returns to the same small French village in search of answers. When another young woman suddenly disappears, Sunny becomes convinced the two cases are connected.
As she begins asking questions and digging into long-buried secrets, it quickly becomes clear that not everyone wants the truth to come to light.
My Thoughts
The premise immediately drew me in.
A decades-old disappearance, a determined sister searching for answers, and the possibility that history is repeating itself made for a compelling mystery from the very beginning.
I really enjoyed the way the investigation gradually unfolded. Rather than relying on constant action, the novel slowly pieces together what happened seventeen years earlier, revealing new clues and twists along the way. While some of the answers were hiding in plain sight, I still enjoyed discovering how everything fit together.
One aspect I particularly appreciated was the novel's exploration of the long-term impact of an unresolved disappearance.
Seventeen years may have passed, but Sunny is still deeply affected by losing her sister. Watching her continue to carry that grief and uncertainty made her journey feel authentic and added emotional weight to the investigation.
I also found it interesting how several of the villagers genuinely believed they were protecting the people they loved by keeping certain secrets. Unfortunately, their decisions only created more pain, showing how good intentions can sometimes have devastating consequences.
My only real issue was the pacing.
Although the mystery itself kept me interested, there were a few sections where the story lost some momentum, and I occasionally found my attention drifting. I never lost interest in discovering the truth, but I did wish the narrative had maintained its tension a little more consistently.
Final Thoughts
Overall, She Never Came Back is an engaging psychological thriller with an intriguing mystery, emotional depth, and plenty of twists that gradually reveal the truth behind a seventeen-year-old disappearance.
While the pacing wasn't always as gripping as I would have liked, I still enjoyed following Sunny's investigation and uncovering the secrets hidden within this small French village.
If you enjoy slow-burning mysteries, family secrets, and thrillers that focus as much on emotional consequences as they do on solving the crime, this is one worth checking out.
⭐ 3.5 stars (rounded up to 4)
ARC Disclaimer
Thank you to NetGalley and Boldwood Books for the opportunity to read and review this book. All opinions expressed are my own.

No comments:
Post a Comment