Tuesday, August 11, 2026

The One Who Walked Away - Karen Rose

 

The One Who Walked Away

Author: Karen Rose
Series: Romantic Suspense #34
Publisher: Berkley
Genre: Romantic Suspense | Mystery | Thriller
Format: eBook (ARC)
Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ (4.5 stars rounded up)


Synopsis

Three years ago, bounty hunter Elle Randolph survived a car accident that killed her husband and two other people. Although she was cleared of any wrongdoing, the guilt never really left her, and she has spent the years since throwing herself into work and solving other people's problems.

But when Elle arrives in Mendocino County and suddenly becomes a person of interest in a murder investigation, running from her past is no longer an option.

Detective Ronan Clarke has spent fifteen years balancing his career with raising his daughter as a single father. When Elle enters his investigation surrounded by secrets and suspicious circumstances, he's determined to figure out exactly how she is involved.

The more Ronan uncovers, however, the more convinced he becomes that Elle isn't the killer; and the harder it becomes to ignore the attraction growing between them.


My Thoughts

First things first: if you know Karen Rose, you probably know that her Romantic Suspense series has been running for a very long time. The One Who Walked Away may technically be book #34, but don't let that number scare you! This story begins a new arc and works as a standalone, so you don't need to read thirty-three books before picking this one up.

And I'm glad I did, because I really enjoyed it.

One of the biggest strengths for me was the balance between the romance and suspense. Neither side felt like an afterthought. There was enough investigation and danger to keep the mystery reader in me interested, while Elle and Ronan's developing relationship gave me the romantic element I wanted.

I liked both main characters a lot.

Elle is still carrying an enormous amount of guilt surrounding the accident that killed her husband and two others, despite being cleared of wrongdoing. You can see how deeply that experience continues to affect her and how she channels those feelings into her work as a bounty hunter. There were times when I wished she had a little more confidence in herself, especially because she'd already survived so much.

Then there's Ronan.

Single dad? Check.

Dedicated detective? Check.

Trying very hard to remain professional around Elle and occasionally not doing quite as good a job as he'd probably like? Also check. 😂

I really enjoyed him, both as a romantic lead and as an investigator. I also appreciated how the investigation surrounding Elle was handled. The characters didn't simply decide she must be guilty because the circumstances looked suspicious. The case was approached thoughtfully, with evidence actually mattering.

I did figure out the culprit fairly early, but surprisingly, that didn't bother me very much. I was still invested in watching the investigation unfold and seeing how all the pieces eventually came together.

Compared with some of the darker thrillers I normally gravitate toward, this one also felt relatively chill. Murder and violence are obviously part of the story, but it never became excessively graphic or brutal. At the time I read it, that was exactly the kind of suspense I was in the mood for.


Final Thoughts

Romance, murder, investigation, a little stalking and two main characters I genuinely enjoyed?

Yes, please.

The One Who Walked Away delivered a satisfying combination of romantic suspense and character-driven mystery. Although I predicted part of the mystery fairly early, the strong character dynamics and well-balanced romance kept me invested until the end.

And if the intimidating #34 on Goodreads has you wondering whether you can start here: yes! This begins a new arc, making it an accessible entry point for readers who haven't worked their way through Karen Rose's extensive backlist.

⭐ 4.5 stars, rounded up to 5


ARC Disclaimer

Thank you to NetGalley and Berkley for the opportunity to read and review this ARC. All opinions expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want Me, Take Me, Haunt Me, Make Me - Isabel Crowley

  Want Me, Take Me, Haunt Me, Make Me Author: Isabel Crowley Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca Genre: Paranormal Romance | Horror | Fan...