The Enigma Challenge
Author: S.C. Godfrey / Sierra Godfrey
Publisher: Viking
Genre: Mystery Thriller | Romantic Suspense | Adventure
Format: eBook (ARC)
Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Synopsis
Zoe Wilder is an academic with a particular talent for ciphers and puzzles. While attending a cryptology conference in Madrid, her curiosity leads her straight into the Enigma Challenge, a secretive competition with extraordinarily high stakes.
What begins with one seemingly simple cipher quickly becomes a six-day race across Europe.
Enter Dane Seaver, a mysterious hacker and fellow player who convinces Zoe that their best chance of surviving (and winning) is to work together. Dane has something Zoe desperately needs: experience. He's already won the Challenge twice.
Unfortunately, he also has secrets.
With five puzzles to solve, millions of dollars at stake, ruthless competitors on their trail, and an attraction neither of them planned for, Zoe and Dane have very little time to figure out whom they can trust.
My Thoughts
Well, this was right up my alley.
Give me puzzles, ciphers, escape-room vibes, dangerous challenges, European travel, twists, romance and a healthy dose of chaos, and apparently I'm a very happy reader.
As someone who loves puzzles, escape rooms, detective games and basically anything that gives me a mystery to solve, the Enigma Challenge itself was easily one of my favorite aspects of the book. I especially enjoyed the focus on ciphers. Puzzle-based thrillers aren't necessarily unusual, but I don't often encounter stories that make cryptology such an important part of the adventure, and that helped this one stand out for me.
The competition also keeps the story moving at an incredibly fast pace. Zoe and Dane have only six days to solve five puzzles, which means they're constantly racing from one clue and location to the next while trying not to get themselves killed in the process.
And I loved that the race took us across Europe.
Madrid, Barcelona, France and beyond; the changing locations gave the story an adventurous quality that perfectly complemented the competition. There was always somewhere new to go, another clue to decipher, or another problem waiting for them when they arrived.
Then we have Zoe and Dane.
The banter? There.
The chemistry? Definitely there.
I really enjoyed their dynamic, and the romance was much more substantial than I initially expected. Personally, I'd consider this romantic suspense, or even a romantic adventure thriller, rather than a straightforward mystery/thriller with a small romantic subplot. Their developing relationship is an important part of the experience.
Dane did, however, test me a little.
Let's just say he wasn't entirely forthcoming about everything, and by the end I was ready for a proper groveling tour. Sir, I had expectations! Unfortunately for me, there was also a rather urgent life-or-death situation happening, so apparently my groveling requirements weren't everyone's top priority.
The final portion of the book became especially intense. The twists, danger and revelations kept piling up, and I flew through those chapters wanting to know how everything would end.
The general concept of contestants solving puzzles while being chased through increasingly dangerous situations isn't completely new, and I was occasionally reminded of escape-room style movies and games. But that never bothered me. The emphasis on ciphers, European setting, characters, romance and overall execution gave The Enigma Challenge its own identity.
Final Thoughts
I ate this one up.
The Enigma Challenge combined so many things I personally love: puzzles, ciphers, suspense, travel, romance, danger, twists, and absolute chaos. It was fast-paced, entertaining, and genuinely fun from beginning to end.
If you enjoy escape rooms, puzzle-based thrillers, international adventures, and romances forged while everyone is potentially trying to kill you, this one is absolutely worth checking out.
And after that ending, I have only one important question:
ARE WE GETTING A SEQUEL???
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
ARC Disclaimer
Thank you to Sierra Godfrey, Viking, and NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review this ARC. All opinions expressed are my own.

No comments:
Post a Comment